All J&K tourist spots to reopen by May, govt plans 9 new destinations: Omar

Promises Jobs Push, Power Expansion, Action on Land Sharks

20/02/2026



JAMMU, Feb 19: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday announced that all tourist destinations currently closed in the Union Territory are expected to reopen by May, as the government continues its efforts to revive tourism in the aftermath of the Pahalgam terror attack of April 2025.
Winding up the discussion on Demands for Grants in the Legislative Assembly here, Abdullah said the government has been working "step by step" to restore confidence among tourists and stakeholders after the attack, which had claimed the lives of 26 persons, mostly tourists.
"At a time when many believed tourism in Jammu and Kashmir would not recover for years, we engaged extensively with stakeholders, rebuilt confidence and gradually brought the sector back to life," he said.
He noted that despite restrictions at key locations and the closure of several tourist spots, the tourism industry has witnessed a steady turnaround.
"You can assume that by May, all these destinations will reopen," the Chief Minister assured, adding that discussions with the Centre have taken place, even though certain constraints remain.
Abdullah also revealed that the government is planning to introduce nine new tourist destinations under a centrally funded scheme in consultation with the Union government.
"The names will be released gradually. I assure the people of Jammu that they will get their fair share," he said.
The Chief Minister emphasised that improving infrastructure at existing tourist locations remains a priority, as visitors often complain about the lack of basic facilities such as toilets and other conveniences in major resorts like Pahalgam, Gulmarg and Sonamarg.
"Repeat tourism is the real benchmark of a strong and sustainable tourism industry, and that is where our focus now lies," he added.
Speaking on the power sector, Abdullah said Jammu and Kashmir has an estimated hydropower potential of around 18,000 megawatts, but only about 3,000 to 3,500 MW has been developed so far.
With the planned addition of new projects, total power generation is expected to rise to nearly 7,000 MW in the coming years.
He said detailed project reports for harnessing the remaining potential would be prepared in coordination with the Centre and implemented in phases over the next 10 to 15 years.
"If we properly harness our power potential, we may not need to depend on central assistance to the same extent," he said.
Rejecting concerns over privatisation, Abdullah clarified that there is no proposal to privatise power distribution companies.
On the issue of daily-rated and temporary workers, the Chief Minister said the government will begin the process of regularisation in 2026 in a legally and financially sustainable manner.
A committee under the supervision of the Chief Secretary has been constituted to ensure the policy does not get entangled in courts or face objections from the finance department.
"These employees have been struggling for decades. We will not mislead them with hurried decisions," he said.
Abdullah further informed the House that the government aims to fill nearly 30,000 vacant posts during the current year in a transparent and time-bound manner through the Selection Board and the Public Service Commission.
Taking a firm stand against encroachment, the Chief Minister said action against illegal occupation of government land will begin with influential violators.
"We must first proceed against the big land sharks and land grabbers who manage to protect themselves through political connections," he said.
Abdullah also underlined that climate response has become a "compulsion" for Jammu and Kashmir, calling for the creation of a dedicated department to study climate change impacts.
"No department today has defined responsibility to carry out an exercise on climate change. We must institutionalise this," he said.

Share This Story


Comment On This Story

 

Photo Gallery

  
BSE Sensex
NSE Nifty